Re: Policy question

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 02:07:19PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> > "most" isn't good enough here.  I know from past experience :-)
>
> Do you mean the local mail server on a Debian system ?  Do we have any
> MTAs that don't support 8BITMIME ?  You could always just tell people

Yes, but unfortunately the bug report listing the specific one has long
since expired, but here's the changelog:

elm-me+ (2.4pl25ME+39-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release.  Various small bugfixes and Y2K compliance
    updates.  See the upstream changelog for details.
  * Updated FTP site in copyright file
  * No longer uses 8BITMIME or BINARYMIME options.  It seems that some
    non-sendmail mailers aren't up-to-date enough to handle them, which
    isn't really Elm's fault, but to be compatible with those mailers,
    I have turned off the passing of -B8BITMIME or -BBINARYMIME to mailers.
    Elm now does those conversions internally.  This closes bug
    #17103.

 -- John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>  Sun, 22 Feb 1998 09:21:30 -0600

> not to run such a braindead MTA.

I think it does a disservice to people if Debian's default mail reader does
not work with Debian's mail servers.