Re: Policy question

John Goerzen writes ("Re: Policy question"):
> On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 06:21:14PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > In fact, you don't mean that it needs to run setuid.  It merely needs
> > to be run _as_ a particular uid.  There are several ways of achieving
> > this other than setuid.  Two that I can think of that I'd recommend to
> > you are:
> >
> > * userv, which Wichert has already mentioned.
>
> I must have missed that; do you have a URL?

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/userv/, but you probably want
to install the Debian package, which is admin/extra.

> > * Most MTA's can be configured to run particular sets of aliases
> > etc. as particular uses and/or groups.
>
> "most" isn't good enough here.  I know from past experience :-)
>
> In Elm (which I maintain), I set the configuration to use the 8BITMIME
> option of MTAs (all of them have this, of course.)  Well, I was wrong; they
> do not all have that, and so bugs reports started coming in and I had to
> change it.  When dealing with stuff that talks to the mail server, the
> unfortunate reality is that the lowest common set of features is what must be
> used.

Do you mean the local mail server on a Debian system ?  Do we have any
MTAs that don't support 8BITMIME ?  You could always just tell people
not to run such a braindead MTA.

Ian.