Re: Policy question

John Goerzen writes ("Policy question"):
> The situation is this.  There is a mailing list management program that
> needs to run setuid to its particular uid (created by adduser in postinst).
> It also ought to run setgid to its particular gid (again, created by adduser
> in postinst.)  It is intended to be run only by a MTA, and as a security
> precaution (since it is setuid/setgid), it is best not to let anyone execute
> it (also, it would be very easy to forge messages that way.)

In fact, you don't mean that it needs to run setuid.  It merely needs
to be run _as_ a particular uid.  There are several ways of achieving
this other than setuid.  Two that I can think of that I'd recommend to
you are:

* userv, which Wichert has already mentioned.

* Most MTA's can be configured to run particular sets of aliases
etc. as particular uses and/or groups.

Ian.