Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 05:20:37PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         No. But I am voicing my objection to a method that requires
>  serendipitous free equivalantrs of all non-free packages to
>  serve as a workaround.

That's just one of several options.

We need to have a clean administrative interface between the free and
the non-free parts of debian.  Not everyone is going to be able to use
the non-free parts, and not all distributions are going to contain the
non-free parts.

For the worst case "suggests -> enhances" mess, you could even create
a single empty non-free package which enhances the free part and which
suggests any of a suite of non-free software.  This puts administrative
control in the right place, yet leaves a clean interface between the
part which may be freely distributed and the part which may not be.

I think that's much better than creating a "Maybe-Suggests:" and stuffing
non-free references into the DFSG packages.

--
Raul