Re: objection! [was Re: Icon and pixmap location]

Branden Robinson writes:
> Well, then, we immediately throw away the advantage that a single directory
> name gives us.

What are those?

> We already have several directories in our system that are unspeakably
> unwieldy for a human to browse, why should /usr/share/images be any
> different?

A practice of historical misdesignes and disregard for scalability is no
reason for perpertuating such stupidity on other parts of the system.

Chris Waters wrote:
> Perhaps, as an experiment, someone could put several thousand images
> in single directory and see how the system reacts.  I'd feel more
> comfortable with some emperical evidence that this won't be a problem
> before formally accepting the idea.

I know exactly how the system reacts. Ext2 filesystem does a linear search
to find filenames. I have 2600 files in /var/lib/dpkg/info, and an ls -l in
there takes about 4 seconds, this on a Dual PIII with fast wide scsi drives.

--
see shy jo