Re: objection! [was Re: Icon and pixmap location]

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 12:14:05AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > When they say "monochrome", they mean .xbm's.  Why not just have a
> > /usr/share/image directory in which images of any format or size can be
> > placed?  It sure would make things simpler.
>
> Just allow subdirectories in it, please. I have about 3 thousand .xpm and
> .xbm files on my system ..

Well, then, we immediately throw away the advantage that a single directory
name gives us.

We already have several directories in our system that are unspeakably
unwieldy for a human to browse, why should /usr/share/images be any
different?

Moreover, the more structure we impose on /usr/share/images, such as with a
subdirectory for each file format, the harder it is going to be to enforce
compliance.  My proposal at least has the advantage of being fairly easy to
understand.

I respectfully disagree, and feel that /usr/share/images should be flat.
I don't think a package should be constrained from keeping image files in
/usr/share/<package>/ if it needs things arranged more hierarchically for
its own purposes.  I just think /usr/share/images should be our sole
repository for general-purpose image files.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Murphy's Guide to Science:
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   If it's green or squirms, it's biology.