Re: objection! [was Re: Icon and pixmap location]

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 04:59:43PM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> I formally object to this proposal on the grounds that we have not heard
> from Branden yet, seeing as he is our resident X guru. Once Branden is
> raised one way or another on this subject, I will retract this objection.

I appreciate the deference, but I don't imagine that my inputs means all
THAT much.  :)

I'm still undecided as to whether we should have

/usr/share/icons

or

/usr/share/bitmaps
as well as
/usr/share/pixmaps

OTOH, the former may well turn out to be fine.  Why?

* almost all image files identify their type by extension (.xbm, .xpm, .png)
* I don't recall, but the XPM spec may be a proper superset of the XBM spec
  (I know this is true functionally, but not if it is true syntactically)
* XFree86 4.0 will include an xpm library.  The days of a monochrome-only
  image file format "officially" supported by the X Window System are fast
  drawing to a close.

I'm not averse to giving /usr/share/icons a shot and then seeing what
breaks.

BTW, to rebut the argument about a 1024x768 .xpm, I rebut that
/usr/share/icons is actually a superior solution in that case --

If you don't intend for it to be used as an icon, don't put it there.
Meanwhile, /usr/{something}/pixmaps could reasonably be interpreted as a
respository for all sorts of .xpm's, regardless of their purpose.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   I must despise the world which does not
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   know that music is a higher revelation