Re: Source dependencies: are we ready?

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 03:46:23PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> Sbuild calls dpkg-source to unpack, what does it have to do with the
> source format?! All it has to do is call whatever executable is needed for
> the unpacking. It _already_ handles _everything_ else, _and_ the Build
> Dependencies. My suggestion is to keep the enforcement of build deps out
> of raw tools like dpkg-source and dpkg-buildpackage and in specialized
> tools like sbuild (which already has it) and apt (which already builds and
> downloads packages, so it can handle checking build deps with
> modifications).

I agree with Ben that dpkg-source should not care about build dependencies
(hey, it only unpacks the source, I only need ar and tar and gzip for this!)

dpkg-buildpackage should optionally verify the build dependencies only.

apt should have an option to fulfill source depends for a set of packages.

sbuild is overkill for most people. Also, it is tightly related to the wanna
build autobuilder. It is pretty much hackish, and I would rather see
something replacing sbuild than vice versa.

All IMNSHO.

Thanks,
Marcus