Re: Source dependencies: are we ready?

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 09:02:59PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously sparc porters wrote:
> > I still think sbuild is the way to go.
>
> I still think sbuild is not the way to go and would rather see sbuild
> modified to handle the new source format.
>
> Oh, in case someone hasn't noticed: this is the rumoured new source
> format from Klee Dienes. If you want to test it grab klee.tar.gz from
> ~wakkerma on master. You will need to have python installed btw.

Sbuild calls dpkg-source to unpack, what does it have to do with the
source format?! All it has to do is call whatever executable is needed for
the unpacking. It _already_ handles _everything_ else, _and_ the Build
Dependencies. My suggestion is to keep the enforcement of build deps out
of raw tools like dpkg-source and dpkg-buildpackage and in specialized
tools like sbuild (which already has it) and apt (which already builds and
downloads packages, so it can handle checking build deps with
modifications).

Ben