Re: Source dependencies: are we ready?

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 04:51:23PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > How do you define "complete implementation"?
>
> A dpkg-source that:
> a) supports build-dependencies
> b) supports multiple patches
> c) can setup a buildroot and start building everything that is needed to
>    build a package

Personally I don't think dpkg-source can enforce this. At the point of
unpacking, we don't even know what targets we are going to build (arch,
indep, both?). Dpkg-buildpackage would be a better place to say "you don't
have all the needed deps", also I don't think that dpkg-source should in
anyway attempt to setup a buildroot.

Right now sbuild is about the best thing we have for all of this, I would
personally love to have it directly in dpkg-dev since it's pretty self
standing and would satisfy all of these issues. Anyway, most of the
majority of people that will be using Build-* deps, will be using sbuild
anyway (no matter what you put into dpkg-{source,buildpackage}, and yes,
I'm refering to the autobuilders). So why not give everyone else the same
tools that are used by the folks that brought on this added feature in the
first place, that way we also avoid duplication of effort.

Ben