Re: [forward] FHS pre-2.1 draft #3 on web site

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 05:51:09PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> There was nothing stopping them from creating links in /usr/local/bin
> either -- why would they get the hint all of a sudden from /opt/bin
> when they didn't from /usr/local/bin?  I think that /opt/bin is a bad
> idea in the first place -- it offers *nothing* that /usr/local/bin
> doesn't already provide; has no advantages whatsoever; and encourages
> the nasty habit of using /opt, which I think should be encouraged to
> disappear completely.  :-)

I'll guess from this that you've not read FHS chapter 2.

However, on some machines you're correct.

> As for the whole "hint" concept, I'd rather see *real* documentation
> than vague (and misguided) hints littering the filesystem.

These need not conflict.

> I think we should *support* the /opt nonsense, since it's effectively
> a requirement, but I think we should stop short of encouraging or
> promoting its use.

This implies that creating directories is not support.

Personally, I think that the existence of the directories will simplify
the documentation (no need to say "create /opt/bin if that hasn't been
done yet," etc.)  Why document a one-time procedure when it's easier to
just do it once?

--
Raul