Re: [forward] FHS pre-2.1 draft #3 on web site

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 05:14:28PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > This draft includes the recently discussed additions to /opt.
>
> Debian does not use /opt; we reserve it for third parties and end
> users.

Doesn't the FHS call for at some point the standard /usr/local subdirs be
found in /opt (ie, /opt/bin, /opt/sbin, etc)?  I recall reading that, but
am not sure if that was added to 2.1 or removed from 2.0 in a 2.1 draft or
always there or just my imagination ....  =>

Anyway, if those dirs should exist (and I think they probably should as
they're useful for providing symlinks to other dirs to keep paths and the
like sane) should we actually create them or rely on the sysadmin to do
that if they plan to use those dirs (I believe they were reserved for
sysadmin's use) or what?

If I am not smoking something potent, what would be the purpose of both
/opt/bin and /usr/local/bin?  Compatibility provided to prevent breaking
things unexpectedly ?  Why not just suggest one should be linked to the
other?  (Most people do that already I think--I used to but I've since
given /opt its own partition)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3