Re: [forward] FHS pre-2.1 draft #3 on web site

Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com> writes:

> FYI

> I am getting very close to an FHS 2.1 release.  Is the current draft
> something Debian can use as it stands?

We are already targetting 2.1, mainly in order to avoid moving
everything out of /var/lib for 2.0 compatibility, then moving it back
for 2.1 compatibility.  Also, we are aiming for compatibility, not
compliance, at this time.  2.1 (or higher) will almost certainly be
the active standard by the time we actually manage to achieve FHS
compliance of any sort (i.e. by the time we get rid of our symlinks).

IOW, yes.  :-)

> This draft includes the recently discussed additions to /opt.

Debian does not use /opt; we reserve it for third parties and end
users.

> + Distributions may install software in /opt, but

Ick -- we may be allowed to do so, but we're not gonna, not if I and
many many others have anything to say about it.  :-)

Anyway, thanks for the update; I was still using pre-01.

cheers