Re: [forward] FHS pre-2.1 draft #3 on web site

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 11:32:23AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> I think we should agree to do absolutely nothing with the /opt
> directory, other than create it.

I suggest that we create whatever [empty] directory structure FHS
specifies.

FHS 2.0 specifies the following directories:

/etc/opt
/opt/bin
/opt/doc
/opt/include
/opt/info
/opt/lib
/opt/man
/var/opt

There are also any package specific /etc/opt/package/, /opt/package/, etc.
but those aren't our responsibility.

The #3 draft for fhs 2.1 appears to say the same thing.

I should add that in addition the rationale difference (/usr/local doesn't
actually have a rationale while /opt's rationale says it's historically
for the installation of "add-on" software), the chapter on the file
system seems to say that /usr/local is shareable while /opt is not.

--
Raul