Re: Policy about policy

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 12:34:27AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Perhaps we need to add a small layer (perhaps the ctte itself) which
> sanctions (sprinkles it with holy penguin-pee as Linus would say)
> updates to the policy as decided by debian-policy. (perhaps sanctions
> isn't the best word here, I hope you know what I mean though). This
> would give a more formal framework in which debian-policy operates while
> not changing the current procedures.

So what's the point? Either they sanction everything we do, and then there
is really hardly a point to create this additional layer, or they don't, and
then current procedures are changed, and we need to pull other means like
general resolution, voting etc if there is contention between the policy
group and the ctte.

Is the Debian project at a stage where we want to create formal frameworks
just for the sake of them? All this talk about authorization bothers me a lot.
Debian operates from the "base", and if the "base" can not operate any
longer because they don't have the "power", thinks will stall rapidly, and
we will end up with hundreds of little cathedrals who can't negotiate any
longer, because it's forbidden (yeah, of course you will now point me to the
constitution, and I can pull stuff like general resolutions, but before it
cames to that I have long given up. Power plays and politics is not why I
joined the Debian project).

Am I exaggerating? Probably. But as E.W. Heine said, you have sometimes to
aim higher to hit the middle of the target.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server