Re: Policy about policy

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

 Raul> On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 03:07:48PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
 >> > In the wake of the 3.0.0.0 release of debian policy, I've been studying
 >> > the policy process.

 Raul> Yet I was under the impression that the policy group had, in the past,
 Raul> gone out and solicited the opinions of developers.  [Emacsen issues
 Raul> come to mind.]

        That is not how it worked, Some people, the emacsen
 developers, went out and created a sub policy document on their own,
 and worked out the kinks. Once the process stabilized, a proposal was
 made to adopt that as a policy document (not all the emacsen packages
 conformed at the time, if I recall correctly).

 Raul> Now, I agree that this should be a "best effort" sort of thing -- it's
 Raul> silly to wait around for a developer who hasn't been heard of for quite
 Raul> some time.

 Raul> Also, I have about 12 meg of debian-policy archives to digest before I can
 Raul> say anything definitive about existing practice.  I'm under the impression
 Raul> that asking for developer participation has been a successful action of
 Raul> the policy group -- but at the moment, that's all it is: an impression.

        Why are you coming in to this forum, and fixing things that do
 not seem to be broken? Are you acting in your capaciry as an
 individual developer (in which case my advice would be to lurk in
 this group and see how wee function, rather than jumping in and
 trying to change everything), or are you here as the chairman of the
 technical committee, in which case I think that the ctte ahs not been
 asked to redesign how this group functions.

 Raul> Mostly, I don't want to operate in the dark: proposing random
 Raul> constitutional ammendments isn't going to make me feel any easier.

        Actualy, I agree: If a constituitonal amendment be the way to
 go for ratifying the policy group, I would much rather some one with
 more experience in the way the policy group works formulate the
 proposed amendment.

 Raul> Once again, right now I'm just trying to make sense of things
 Raul> and I do not want to propose any changes to anything

        Good. I do believe that you should work through a few
 proposals before you try and change anything.

        manoj
--
 "The argument that the literal story of Genesis can qualify as
 science collapses on three major grounds: the creationists' need to