Re: A configuration tool for debian

ddainese@dsi.unive.it wrote:
> 1) It must have many interfaces (GUI-base, Web-based, etc.).

Check. Plain old text, dialog, gtk, web, cany others someone cares to write,
all done.

> 2) The files where the configurations are stored must be easy to edit
>    with a normal text editor.

Check. Can support arbitrary database formats, including plain text files,
or SQL databases.

> 3) It must be extremely flexible (more on this later).

Check. Script-driven for complete control.

> 4) It should be completely transparent for who don't want to use it.

Huh? Can run in non-interactive-use-defaults mode if desired, if that's what
you mean.

At least 1 through 3 are already very well laid out via the debian
configuration management specification. See
http://www.debian.org/~wakkerma/config6/

I have a nearly-done implementation of it, too:
http://kitenet.net/programs/sshcvs/?debconf

I don't know what kind of configuration tool you're proposing, the
configuration management thing is aimed at being a tool packages can use to
ask questions when they're installed. It is flexable enough to be used as a
general configuration db for installed programs, and GNOME is adapting it to
do just that.

--
see shy jo