Re: A configuration tool for debian

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 09:39:56PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> At least 1 through 3 are already very well laid out via the debian
> configuration management specification. See
> http://www.debian.org/~wakkerma/config6/
>
> I have a nearly-done implementation of it, too:
> http://kitenet.net/programs/sshcvs/?debconf

It seems to me that much effort is being reproduced on this particular
subject. I agree completely with Wichert's spec -- as I recall it was
adapted from an RFC he found somewhere, that had been through
implementation. That kind of testing tends to solidify a spec.

But now we have several projects:

-Whatever Corel is doing (completely for non-interactivity purposes):
  Probably hacking individual packages, ie the whole distribution,
  to support a home-grown non-interactivity scheme
-Doogie's dconfig
  What does this do? Reconnect dpkg's streams to a pipe going into a
  script that knows what dpkg will ask, and what it expects in response?
-Wichert and Ben's huge project -- dpkg2
  I would have to say this is the ultimate. It will take lots of work, but
  in theory it should solve the entire problem without cumbersome dpkg
  wrappers. It may even eliminate the need for apt (sorry Jason ;). IMO
  Corel would be better off helping this project out, although that would
  cause somewhat of a delay in their release ;)

The list goes on and on. I recognize the 'survival of the fittest' sort of
natural selection process that the Open Source community seems to display.
He who comes up with a solution that works best, at the right time, is the
winner. This is inevitable, but it disturbs me.

Do people begin such projects without forethought about collaboration? Or do
those who begin such projects underestimate their obligation to announce
their work? Does this happen because there is no way anybody can discover
who is already working to address problems like this? The community should be
able to research progress of potential solutions.

Note, I grumble against nobody. I assume that all those involved have good
reason; I just can't see it ;)

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.