Re: A configuration tool for debian

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 21:39:56 -0700 Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
>> 4) It should be completely transparent for who don't want to use it.
> Huh? Can run in non-interactive-use-defaults mode if desired, if that's what
> you mean.

No; I mean that who don't want to use the configuration tool (and thus
want to use Debian as a "traditional" UNIX), must be free to not use

Personally I don't care of this, but I know people who cares...

> At least 1 through 3 are already very well laid out via the debian
> configuration management specification. See
> http://www.debian.org/~wakkerma/config6/
> I have a nearly-done implementation of it, too:
> http://kitenet.net/programs/sshcvs/?debconf

I've read the draft, and I'm quite impressed with it; if I were known
about it I wouldn't never posted my proposal.

For me the important thing is to integrate a configuration tool in
Debian soon (and thus get rid of the interactive scripts) not that
this tool must be what I've proposed.

> I don't know what kind of configuration tool you're proposing,

...Have you really read the rest of my post? ;)

Diego Dainese