Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 12:40:39AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> * Stick with /usr/doc until potato is released, then begin a massive
>   migration, which may or may not involve symlinks.
>     -  we can't pretend FHS compliance (but we couldn't anyway).
>     -  some people have already moved and may not want to move back.

      - requires all changes to be made in a single release cycle
        (or we're back in the same position we're in at the moment)

This is the major issue with this option. As fas as I've seen no one's
been willing to just come out and say "We can to do it", while a number
have said "We probably can't". *shrug*

>     + may not need crufty symlinks.
        doesn't

Symlinks are only necessary if we make a release with a partial
conversion.

      + requires minimal changes to packages (ie, you just have to make
        the move, no cruft to cope with people who do partial upgrades, and
        what not -- they just have to look in both places. Big deal)

Personally, I don't see much difference between this and just leaving
things be. YMMV, of course.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds