Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

> Let me summarise the proposals so far as I see them: (in order of my
> personal preference)

>  * symlinks managed by postinst/prerm
>      - requires lots of packages to add postinsts/prerms for potato
>        and woody, and then to get rid of them for woody+1
>      - may leave crufty symlinks about on systems where (a) the admin
>        doesn't fix it (b) hasn't had the base packages upgraded to woody+1

>  * do nothing special
>      - means the admin, and all automated tools have to look in both places
>        or miss documentation

You missed one MAJOR proposal.  Mine.

* Stick with /usr/doc until potato is released, then begin a massive
  migration, which may or may not involve symlinks.
    -  we can't pretend FHS compliance (but we couldn't anyway).
    -  some people have already moved and may not want to move back.
    + may not need crufty symlinks.
    + gives us a little more time to decide if we want crufty
      symlinks, and if so, what's the best way to handle it.
    + no surprises to the user.
    + no changes to most packages till after potato's release.