New (?) /usr/share/doc

Looking at the latest /usr/share/doc flamewar, an idea came to me... the
basic problems are all in "dpkg cannot handle foo"...  The solution would
seem to be *modifying dpkg*.

Advantages:
Only one place to modify.  Always keeps doc files in sync with packages.
Only one place for doc files.

Disadvantages:
Sombody has to write non-trivial (but not very non-trivial) code.  More
cruft in dpkg.  Dpkg doing some magic out of sight on [de]installs.  Breaks
maintainer scripts refering to /usr/doc byhand (none I have installed do,
though this is a small system).  (Breaks everything else refering to
/usr/doc, but README should help humans, and everything else should be
upgraded in a reasonable timeframe.)

The details:
Dpkg's postinst should move /usr/doc/* to /usr/share/doc.  It should then
add a README to /usr/doc explaning that the files that used to be there were
moved to /usr/share/doc.
During an [un]install run, dpkg should treat all /usr/doc paths as if they
read /usr/share/doc (this may involve decompressing things to the wrong
place and then moving them, which is the major reason that it dosn't become
a symlink).
For increased clenlyness, have base-files do the part in the postinst, and
have dpkg depend on it.

I think that covers it.  Please, don't flame me too hard.
	-=- James Mastros
--
Little candle-wiccan-bunny fire good.  Huge burn-down-house,
bring-Cabal-action fire bad.