Re: /var/lib, /var/mail

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 05:28:00AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> I'd like to assume some common sense on the part of developers.

Specifications (and that's what Policy is) should never assume anything
it doesn't have to assume - too many things can go wrong (like, people
having different definitions for "common sense").

> I don't want to go and add cruft to the policy that says essentially "This
> is policy but you shouldn't go out and reupload all of your packages so
> they do things the new way just because there's a new policy."

I update many of my packages frequently, and I usually upgrade to latest
Policy in the process.  If I have nothing else to do, I might even update
them just for the policy change ;-)

I will formally object to any proposal which intends to introduce policy
that should not be followed.

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)