Re: /var/lib, /var/mail

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:

> > > Even if we do this we must still declare the dependency I would imagine.
> >
> > Yes, and it would still have to be a Pre-Dependency, but a package in
> > potato+1 which Pre-Depends on the base-files in potato is not a great
> > deal, considering that almost everybody will upgrade from slink to potato
> > first.
>
> I don't think we should try to enforce that people use /var/mail now, it's
> just good to get it into the policy now.

So: Could you modify your proposal so that the change from /var/spool/mail
to /var/mail is postponed after potato?

I will not object to create a symlink /var/mail to /var/spool/mail, but
the right time would be in the frozen stage of potato.

Or maybe we could modify policy so that it reads: "Migration from
/var/spool/mail to /var/mail is postponed until further notice"
(i.e. Waiting for FHS 2.1 to be finallly released :-)

> FHS issues should not be bugs in potato---next version maybe, but not
> potato, I agree.

For this reason we have to be careful in the wording.

--
 "63777cea2305edfd2b4a474033ac6aab" (a truly random sig)