Re: /var/lib, /var/mail

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 02:08:25PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > I don't think we should try to enforce that people use /var/mail now, it's
> > just good to get it into the policy now.
>
> So: Could you modify your proposal so that the change from /var/spool/mail
> to /var/mail is postponed after potato?
>
> I will not object to create a symlink /var/mail to /var/spool/mail, but
> the right time would be in the frozen stage of potato.
>
> Or maybe we could modify policy so that it reads: "Migration from
> /var/spool/mail to /var/mail is postponed until further notice"
> (i.e. Waiting for FHS 2.1 to be finallly released :-)

I'd like to assume some common sense on the part of developers.  Given the
rest of the world I realize that's a stretch, but these are Debian
developers and last time I checked at least most of them do have brains.
=>

> > FHS issues should not be bugs in potato---next version maybe, but not
> > potato, I agree.
>
> For this reason we have to be careful in the wording.

No we don't.  =p  I have no intention of recompiling all of my packages
for policy 3 before we release potato.  Most people don't.  (Most of mine
have gotten recompiled because I've been lazy but that's beside the point)

I don't want to go and add cruft to the policy that says essentially "This
is policy but you shouldn't go out and reupload all of your packages so
they do things the new way just because there's a new policy."

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3