Re: weekly policy summary

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 01:45:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         What if it is true? What if the non-free software does indeed
>  provide functionality missing in Debian? We bury our heads in the
>  sand and pretend that it does not exist? We do our users a disservice
>  and make it harder for them to discover and istall the missing
>  functionality?

Back when this was discussed, the argumentation was way beyond that already.

It's not about hiding non-free software.

It's about having the _choice_. If I, as a user, am offended by non-free
software, I want to have the choice to switch off, quite actively, all
references to non-free. If I, as a user, want to see them, I should be able
to switch them on.

Currently, dselect will not respect my wish and show me all references to
non-free software regardless if I want to see them or not.

Both suggestions that have been extracted from the very long discussion make
it possible to have a choice.

Not _we_ should make this decision. The user should. That's what the proposals
are about.

Thanks,
Marcus