Re: weekly policy summary

***** JL => Jim Lynch

JL> I'm afraid, that if it were made illegal to mention non-free
JL> things in the expository-but-non-functional parts of debian
JL> instalations, people might lose sight of important histories such
JL> as in the above exsamp;e.

You have a good point.

What I was trying to express is that I feel uncomfortable with free
packages which mention non-free software when apparently (this is
obviously something which others may disagree with) there is no real
need to do it.

But I'm really only suggesting that this behavior should be avoided at
all if possible, I don't aim to have it policy.

What I do think should be policy is that main (which includes non-US
free software) should exist without any reference at all to contrib
and non-free.

I think it's good that maintainers who wish to help people with
non-free needs do so and continue to do so, providing packages for
them.  However, if we are really after developing a free (universal)
operating system, we should concentrate ourselves on free software and
provide a consistent collection of free software and just free
software.  This means, IMHO, that free packages should not reference
non-free packages in the Debian sense (i.e., suggests, recommends, and
depends).

Regards,

--
Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr] - <http://www.linux.it/%7Esalve/>