Re: weekly policy summary

"Davide G. M. Salvetti" <salve@debian.org> writes:

> ***** JL => Jim Lynch
> software.  This means, IMHO, that free packages should not reference
> non-free packages in the Debian sense (i.e., suggests, recommends, and
> depends).

So every Package that uses gif would be depreciated, like gimp. It
works perfectly without gif, but with gif support a bit better and gif
support is non-free.

You are right that nothing in main should depend on contrib
ornon-free, but thats policy already. I'm strongly against
depreciating suggests to non-free software, sometimes there is
non-free software that does the job better or just does a bit more of
the job, like libungif / libgif and then I want to be told that there
is an alternative that I might use. Without a suggest one might never
know that there is a non-free programm outthere doing the jobs one
needs.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin