non-free suggestions again (was Re: weekly policy summary)

> >>"Chris" == Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:

>  Chris> Note that the common element of both proposals is that
>  Chris> someone who has non-free packages in her package list will
>  Chris> see them, and someone who doesn't won't.  This really seems
>  Chris> like the best approach all 'round.
          [snip]

>         I am slightly dismayed by some of the proposals in this
>  thread, which would have us bury all references to software that does
>  not meet our guideline somewhere in the documentation which is ot
>  accesible prior to installation, and not during the install.

Well, in the case of my package where I removed the Suggests:
non-free-pkg, I put a mention of the non-free package in the package
description, which *is* visible without an install.  The only
difference is that dselect will no longer pop up to specifically
remind you that you don't have this non-free package installed.

>         Freedom of software should come on its merits, not because on
>  Debian it is hard to find good (but non-free) software.

>         Not quite censorship, but definitely freedom through obscurity.

Yes, I argued exactly the same point when this thread came up before
(on -private, where it never belonged, imo).  But note that both of
the proposals I mentioned would solve this quite handily -- the
information would be available to anyone who has the non-free package
sources in her package list, and only be hidden to those who
(deliberately, one assumes) don't have a source of non-free packages
listed.

This seems to me to make sense in any case, since there's not much
point in suggesting a package which isn't available.  It's a bit hard
to install a non-free package if you don't have a source for non-free
packages!  :-)