Re: Branden's contrib manifesto (was: Hey! Why does everybody love flaming so much? [was: `pure'])

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> What I find distracting in these lines of argumentation is
 Marcus> that it implies that we ban and throw out such
 Marcus> non-free-server dependant code out of Debian.

        That is the alternative I find most objectionable.

 Marcus> But this is only one alternative of implementing the
 Marcus> proposal. Another choice would be to distinguish between main
 Marcus> packages, and declare a subset of main as "pure", "strict",
 Marcus> or whatever comes around to be least offensive.

 Marcus> Your only objection to this I saw and has merit is the work
 Marcus> involved creating such a subset.

        This is the only one you saw since this is the onl;y one I
 have to this proposal.

 Marcus> Obviously, the work should be done by the people who propose
 Marcus> or people willing to help them, so this is a non-issue, IMHO.

        Is this possible? You need the help of the archive
 maintainers, the mirror opoerators, the boot floppy people, the
 official CD team, etc. Are you sure that all the people invilved are
 enthusiastically in favour of a new distribution?

 Marcus> I saw no other technical counter arguments.

        Is this not enough?

        manoj
--
 We are all apt to believe what the world believes about us.  --
 George Eliot