Re: Hey! Why does everybody love flaming so much? [was: `pure']

Hi,
>>"Gord" == Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@trick.fig.org> writes:

 Gord> [I think my mail entitled `pure' got lost in the shuffle.  Otherwise,
 Gord> why has nobody commented on it?  I think it's the way to end the flame
 Gord> war.  Here it is again:]

        Actually, no, I did read it, but there were more pressing
 articles to respond to ;-)

 Gord> Proprietary protocols are a problem.

        Well, yes. But there are a lot of protocols out there that
 are, and as long as we have free implementations of clients and
 servers, we do not seem to care.

        So the protocols are not really a problem (appletalk, anyone?
 what about NFS?), the problem is free *implementations*.

        Now, we have a situation that someone is trying to create a
 free implemtnation of at least the clients -- this is a necesary step
 to having fee implementations for all the participants in the
 protocol. Rather than pulling down the crab trying to escape from the
 basket, we should encourage others (to write the server side too)

 Gord> Let's create a new distribution to set apart the packages that
 Gord> can work just as well (or better) when connected to a network
 Gord> that uses only free software (say an intranet that runs only
 Gord> Debian GNU `main').

 a) This is a lot of work, creating a new distribution, moving all but
    a few packages to this new distribution, coordinating with
    mirrors, expolaining to people what happened to gut main
 b) since holy and main shall both be part of Debian, this distinction
    is mostly meaningless. What does this distinction buy us, that we
    put in the kind of effort?
 c) We decide on freeness based on the DFSG, which is purely
    licencing. I shall strongly resist junking the DFSG and putting in
    (IMHO) a poorere criteria for selecting packages based on things
    other than the licence.
 d) Before we go any further, I would like to have explained to me how
    starting a free software foray in an proprietary protocol is
    harmful to the free software community
 e) Explain to me how having a fee client implementation is any
    dofferent from the early days of GNU, when everyhing needed an
    non-free OS to run on.

        manoj
--
 Bizoos, n.: The millions of tiny individual bumps that make up a
 basketball. Rich Hall, "Sniglets"