Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On 5 May 1999, James Troup wrote:

> No it does not.  Please read the DFSG.  Policy defines what can and
> can't go in main.

Yes, I'm sorry to have missed that. Both of you are obviously right.

Now, I ask the same question again but with a little difference: Since
Policy defines which packages can go into 'main' and which can't, can
somebody please point out which part of Policy these programs fail? I have
read the requirements for packages that want to go into main. I don't see
what's wrong with free packages that talk proprietary protocols for which
is no free 'other end' available, as far as Policy is concerned.

Remco
--
rd1936:  3:30am  up 3 days, 11:25,  6 users,  load average: 1.68, 1.62, 1.43