Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 11:59:31PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> > Since the DFSG defines which packages can go into 'main' and which
> > can't,
>
> No it does not.  Please read the DFSG.  Policy defines what can and
> can't go in main.

This isn't a simple matter of modifying the policy document!

For what you want to be able to happen, it's not going to get resolved
here.  It's going to have to go to a general vote.  You're proposing
something that changes the social contract as it has been thus far
interpretted.  Nobody on this list has the right to change the social
contract arbitrarily.  Not you, not me, not Manoj, not Wichert.

If I have seemed highly critical of you for trying to propose this (I am
highly critical of the proposal, but I do admit I have been critical of
you as well) it's because what I am seeing here I feel is an attempt to
modify the policy document without going through the process required to
actually fix the problem you have with the current interpretation of the
social contract.

I would be extremely critical of any attempt to make an end-run around
that process which I admit is a PITA anyway---but is so for a reason.
And I would hope someone would be equally critical of me if I tried to
redefine things in the social contract and DFSG by going through the
policy list.

If your intention is to bring this up at some point for general
resolution, then I apologize for all of the impolite things I have said
(though I don't apologize for arguing against the changes you propose
themselves---my opinion on them remains unchanged...)

<dark> Knghtbrd: We have lots of whatevers.
<Knghtbrd> dark - In Debian?  Hell yeah we do!