Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 03:39:02AM +0200, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> Yes, I'm sorry to have missed that. Both of you are obviously right.
>
> Now, I ask the same question again but with a little difference: Since
> Policy defines which packages can go into 'main' and which can't, can
> somebody please point out which part of Policy these programs fail? I have
> read the requirements for packages that want to go into main. I don't see
> what's wrong with free packages that talk proprietary protocols for which
> is no free 'other end' available, as far as Policy is concerned.

I can't point to you such a place because it doesn't exist.  This "new
distinction" was distinctly proposed as a NEW policy, perhaps (very
arguably, as we've seen) logically derived from the old, but not as
existing policy.

N.B., it wasn't even formally proposed, just brought up for discussion.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |     We either learn from history or,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |     uh, well, something bad will happen.