Re: [PROPOSED] Merging the packaging manual and policy packages

Hi,

 Robert> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> If we agree that the packaging manual has the weight of Policy,

	We already have been thorugh this, this was a matter of
 form. The only forum that can decide what constitutes Debian policy
 is the Technical committee, and the policy mailing list. The policy
 mailing list came to the conclusion in september that the Packaging
 manual was part of core policy, and the developers reference was
 not.

 Robert> Currently it does not.

	Says who? This mailing list agreed that the packagingn manual
 has the weight of policy, and that was announced on debian-devel as
 well, and accepted by a vote in this forum. I am willing to quote
 Chapter and verse:

 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00072.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00074.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00076.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00077.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00083.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00084.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00086.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00088.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00089.html
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00090.html

 Robert> Someone needs to go over it with a fine-toothed comb to pick
 Robert> out non-policy issues, and transfer them to a third document,
 Robert> perhaps entitled "Packaging Hints" or something. Better yet,
 Robert> rename the whole document and then feed information gradually
 Robert> from policy and it to the new Packaging Manual.

	Since it has already been given the weight of policy, this is
 irrelevant. If there are things in Debian policy you think do not
 belong here, please float a proposal.

 Robert> However, pretending the Packaging Manual is policy is a bad
 Robert> idea. It was a reference guide previously.

	Rubbish. It was accepted as Policy way back by this list, and
 it has had the weigt of policy since September at least. As far as I
 remember, the packaging manual was the technical rulebook which had
 to be followed.

 Robert> Tread carefully here - you entered into this conversation by
 Robert> rewriting history and are now severely underestimating the
 Robert> consequences of your actions.

	You are the one trying to rewrite history now. Talk about
 treading carefully. Please reviev the articles I have pointed out
 before you enter into this debate again.

 Robert> If you wish to turn the Policy manual into the Debian
 Robert> political policy and the Packaging manual into the Debian
 Robert> technical policy, know that I am in favor of such a
 Robert> thing. But don't pretend that there are no content changes to
 Robert> be made.

	Since you are talking about things which are already policy, I
 would ask you to find out internal inconsistencies in the policy
 documents and propose changes. But I shall resist strongly any
 attempts to go backwards and throw out documents that are part of
 Debian policy, and reintegrate the contents.

	manoj

--
 Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>