Re: Chosing release goals for slink

On Sat, Jul 11, 1998 at 03:50:25AM +1000, Martin Mitchell wrote:
> Yann Dirson <ydirson@mygale.org> writes:

> * GPG as standard signature for packages
> * Bugs mentioned in changelog closed automatically upon package installation
> * Developer controlled automatic archive maintenance (eg removal of packages
>   automatically after GPG signed email with list of packages to delete)
> * Lintian check by default at end of dpkg-buildpackage
> * Autocompilation support

Those goals, although they are greatly appreciated, don't affect the Debian
release, I mean, they don't affect the software that will be on CD. They
should not be goals for a special Debian release, but they should be goals
of the Debian project. The lintian check should happen by dinstall on ftp
site, and failing packages should be rejected.

> * Non-interactive package configuration available (not default)

This can only happen if a group of volunteers implements a good solution,
based on the ideas Ian posted to debian-policy some time ago.

> * Better package selection for large networks of Debian (eg easier
>   centralized control/maintenance/install of 20+ Debian machines)

This has to be made more concrete.

Marcus