Re: RFC: Emacs add-on packages and make.

Hi,
>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

Ian> Indeed.  May I make some initial remarks ?

Ian> The document fails to say what the goals of the policy are.

	Hmm. I was not involved in drafting the policy, but I have two
 packages that implement it, so here goes (please correct me if I made
 any glaring mistakes).

	The goals are: (in no particular order)
 a) The maintainer does not need to have installed all flavours of
    emacsen the package supports
 b) The maintainer does not have to ship all flavours of byte compiled
    files, and they do not have to be stored on the archives
 c) On installation, the add-on package shall be compiled for all
    flavours of emacsen instaledd on the users machine
 d) When a new flavour of emacs is installed, all supported packages
    already installed are compiled for that flavour of emacs
 e) When an add on package is removed, elc files are cleaned from all
    flavours of emacs crrently installed
 f) when an emacs flavour is removed, all installed add-ons are also
    cleaned up for that package.

Ian> AFAICT it fails to achieve the most important likely goal of such
Ian> a policy, namely that the (non)-existence of .elc files for a
Ian> particular flavour of emacs doesn't depend on the installation
Ian> order.

	I fail to see how it does not. You can install emacsen and add
 on packages in any order, and things should work out fine.

	The only issue with re-compilation is that the compilation
 process for some packages (like VM, for exampe), also depend on make,
 and the issue under discussion is whther to allow that dependency and
 to assign the degree of relationship between vm and make.

	I think the advantages of the policy outwiegh the warts, and
 we are still hammering out the details of the policy and
 implementation.

	manoj
--
 "There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things
 we don't know yet." Ambrose Bierce