Re: RFC: Emacs add-on packages and make.

***** MS => Manoj Srivastava

Firstly I'd like to sincerely apologize if I did anything that may
have offended you in any way.

Believe me, it was far from what I desired, and I'm really sorry. :-(

MS> Hi,
>>> "DGMS" == Davide G M Salvetti <salve@debian.org> writes:

DGMS> I filed bug reports against calc, psgml and vm about this.

MS> And you should be roundly flamed for doing so. Did you
MS> actually read any of the scripts before assuming the maintainer does
MS> not know the basics of Debian packaging?

I never assumed _any_ maintainer did not know the basics of Debian
packaging.  I could not even think this with respect to you, Manoj,
'cause I learned a lot about Debian packaging from studying your very
packages.  Please, accept my apologies if I gave you this false
impression.

I actually read your scripts, of course, and I did my best to
understand them carefully.  I was trying to learn from those scripts,
indeed.

While calc has no checks about make, it just uses it (this is a real
bug), psgml and vm check for make and don't use it if it isn't
installed.  From psgml:

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------<
	if [ -x /usr/bin/make ]; then
	    LOG=`tempfile`;
	    make clean                                 > $LOG;
	    make EMACS=$FLAVOUR psgmldir=$ELCDIR 2>&1 >> $LOG;
	    echo install -m 644 *.elc $ELCDIR         >> $LOG;
	    install -m 644 *.elc $ELCDIR;
	    make clean                                >> $LOG;
	    mv $LOG       $ELCDIR/install.log;
	else
	    tar cf - . | (cd $ELCDIR; tar xpf -)
	    cd $ELCDIR;
	    rm -f Makefile;
	fi
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------<

What this means, as I understand it, is that psgml and vm don't
byte-compile anything if make isn't installed.

Since vm and psgml are _large_ packages, I think their elisp files
_should_ be byte-compiled, and our new debian-emacsen policy suggest
this (but it's up to the maintainer, of course, to decide).

I feel vm and psgml should depend on make, or at least they should
warn the sysadmin about the slow-down due to not to be byte-compiled.

MS> I have closed the bugs on psgml and vm.

My report was very unclear about psgml and vm, I admit.

MS> Next time read the scripts before filing bug reports.

You see, I did it.  Now _you_ are the one assuming something wrong
about me. ;-)

MS> If you do not understand the scripts, do not file mass bug
MS> reports.

That was three packages, Manoj: I'd hardly call this `mass bug reports
filing'. ;-)

If I did not understand something, I'd appreciate an explanation, even
on debian-mentors or privately, because it was my desire to learn from
the way other maintainers approached this topic.

MS> manoj annoyed

Really sorry about this,

--
Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr] - <http://salve.home.ml.org/>