Re: [LONG MESSAGE] Re: `du' control files

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:

[snip]
> Christian continued:
> >Does someone know which program is using these files??
>
> As far as I know, no programs are using these YET.  If we decide to keep
> them, though, they will be useful for a FUTURE package manager.

But we don't know for certain (YET) if these files have the best syntax
and contain the best selection of data that a FUTURE package manager might
need.

> >If there is no good reason for these files, should we consider this a bug?
> >(IMO, yes.)
>
> They are an experimental feature, like the md5sums files.  We have no
> policy against md5sums files, do we?  So leave them for the moment.

These control files are similar, but not the same. md5sums are provided by
a lot of packages already and there is also an easy way to use these files
to check system integraty, so it's actually TOO LATE to simply drop these
files until we have a better solution.

But that's different with the `du' files.

I suggest to make lintian search for `du' files again and report these as
errors (i.e., bugs). If we have the future packaging tool which will be
able to check disk space, we should discuss this in detail again.

Does everyone agree??

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/