Re: `du' control files

On 15 Feb 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

[snip]
> % ar p vm-el_6.41-1_all.deb data.tar.gz | tar zvf | awk '{print $3 "\t"  $6}'
[snip]
> 	It takes too much time, you say? Have you checked?
>  User time (seconds): 0.01
>  System time (seconds): 0.02
>  Percent of CPU this job got: 8%
>  Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 0:00.34

$ time ar p picon-usenix_1995.04.13-1.deb data.tar.gz | tar ztvf - \
| awk '{}'

real    1m5.905s
user    0m26.180s
sys     0m10.580s

(That's my P120, 32mb RAM, nothing else running on the system.)

Note, that the picon-* packages have been the first and only packages I
tried to install without having enough disk space available. dpkg is
really great--one could `easily' remove these files oneselfs and remove
the entry in the `available' db--but that's nothing I would want to
explain to a Linux/Debian newbie on the telephone :)

So please, let us get serious again. I don't think that checking out the
contents of all selected packages is a working solution for a `future'
packaging tool. But unless there is such a tool, we don't need to discuss
this detail.

So the real question is: do we want to allow packages to ship this control
file (we can't tell yet if we'll need it some day or not)?

>From the current discusion I think the answer is: `no.'

Does everyone agree on this now? If so, I'll put the lintian check script
for the `du' files back in.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/