Re: [lintian] app-defaults mode 444

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 fpolacco@icenet.fi wrote:

> I just started to look at all the things that lintian reported about my
> packages (thanx!) and I noticed:
>
> W: groff: non-standard-file-perm usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/GXditview 0444
>
> I noticed than that quite _all_ the files in that dir (on my hamm
> system) are mode 444 (instead of 644) with few exceptions.
>
> Policy says (4.6):
>
> 	*Application defaults* files have to be installed in the
> 	directory `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/'. They are
> 	considered as part of the program code. Thus, they should not be
> 	modified and should not be tagged as *conffile*. If the local
> 	system administrator wants to customise X applications globally,
> 	the file `/etc/X11/Xresources' should be used.
>
> Therefore I think that it is better to leave them mode 444 so a user
> (educated by Slackware) will find little more difficult to modify them
> (mode 444 should make him think that that file shouldn't be modifyed)

I don't think that this is a good solution. (The user would have to be
root anyways, to edit these files, but root can also edit 444 files very
easily.)

> But this should be carved in policy (before being implemented in
> lintian):
>
> 	*Application defaults* files have to be installed in the
> 	directory `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/'. They are
> 	considered as part of the program code. Thus, they should not be
> 	modified (they are installed not-writable) and should not be
> 	tagged as *conffile*.   If the local system administrator wants
> 	to customise X applications globally, the file
> 	`/etc/X11/Xresources' should be used.
>
> I also suggest that some relevant package (base-files?) installs a
> README in that directory quoting this part of the policy, just as a
> quick reference to all those users that "thinks" app-defaults files
> are the right place for site-changes.

The file /usr/doc/X11/debian.README already mentions:

`Please note that this distribution expects you to leave app-defaults
files unchanged. If you want to customise X applications globally, put
your customisations in /etc/X11/Xresources.'

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/