Re: Giving DDs access to perl-team/modules (was: Alioth -> Salsa)

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 09:58:51 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Norbert Preining (2020-01-27 21:38:10)
> > It would be nice to allow all DD to commit to existing packages, but
> > starting new packages would need introduction. That would allow as you
> > said "drive-by fixes".
> I am in favor of granting all DDs full access.
> To me it feels like using a technical appreach for a social purpose if
> we block access to encourage more introductions: I doubt it will help.

JFTR: AFAIK it's not possible technically to allow commits (to master
aka protected branches) and forbidding creation of new repositories.
But I might miss some Gitlab details. (And I'm personally not a fan
of overly complicated setups.)

I can imagine that we give the Debian group access (at maintainer
level), maybe get some fixes, and if we see a new repo we can always
"welcome" the person as if they had asked.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 23:10:03 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Do we have any actual bad experiences with people being a burden by
> "messing" with our repositories without proper guidance?

Let me put it this way: in practice being a team member is no
assurance against making mistakes or being unaware of best practices as
well :) So I'm not afraid of any real issues.

Thinking back at the Alioth times (where DDs had commit access for
many years), I remember a few cases of people "donating" packages to us
(kind of short-circuiting RFAs) but not of random DDs doing "messy"
things.

<digression>
Speaking of "team practices", I'd like to remind people to create new
repos by running `dpt salsa pushrepo' and only by running `dpt salsa
pushrepo'.

Also running autopkgtests locally before uploading package with the
autopkgtest field added would avoid some "oops" moments :)
</>

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Donovan: Season of The Witch