Re: RFC: debhelper changes for perl module packages -- AUTOMATED_TESTING and verbose tests

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:00:24 -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> Thanks for this, gregor. I think you might have misunderstood me, though.

Ah, right, sorry it took me so long to get it :)

> What I meant to say was:
> Maybe the reason we don't enable this option more broadly, is because
> packages do not have tests that would benefit from them. In other words, we
> only enable the environment variable in response to a message like "Tests
> skipped, please set AUTOMATED_TESTING to a true value."

Right.

Let's try something:

% grep -r AUTOMATED_TESTING */t/* | cut -f1 -d/ | uniq | wc -l
96

> I guess it's easiest to illustrate this as a matrix:
> 1. Tests only run if AUTOMATED_TESTING is true
> 2. No tests requiring AUTOMATED_TESTING to be true
> 3. AUTOMATED_TESTING is enabled
> 4. AUTOMATED_TESTING is not explicitly enabled
>
> 1 & 3 -> 36 packages as you have identified
> 1 & 4 -> I don't believe there are many of these, but obviously if we are
> not enabling AUTOMATED_TESTING, we need to find out why (and disable those
> tests if needed). These are the problematic ones because these are where we
> would need to disable AUTOMATED_TESTING (e.g. set it to false) explicitly.
> The points indicating that these would be failing on CPAN anyway are fair,
> though.

Looks like we have 60 packages in this category.
My guess it that for most of them AUTOMATED_TESTING is not set
because the test suite don't emit any message about it :)

Let's see what Damyan finds out about them.

   `-   NP: Blumfeld: Die Diktatur der Angepassten