Re: RFC: debhelper changes for perl module packages -- AUTOMATED_TESTING and verbose tests

Hey Damyan,

I agree with your proposal and with all the other comments in this thread.

One thing I do want to note:

 * export AUTOMATED_TESTING=1 when invoking the test system

It's worth mentioning that we have been doing this for a long time as pkg-perl policy anyway, so for our packages there's no real change (except that we can stop overriding dh_auto_test to also add the AUTOMATED_TESTING environment variable).

I think that it's a sensible change, especially given the reference you give re: the Lancaster consensus.

Overriding the variable should be relatively easy, right? Just unset that env variable or force it to some value?

I'd expect something like this to work:

override_dh_auto_test:
AUTOMATED_TESTING=0 dh_auto_test

Cheers,