Re: [rt.cpan.org #58445] overzealous usage of configure_requires considered harmful

On Sat, 2010-19-06 at 19:03 +0100, Tim Retout wrote:
> On 19 June 2010 18:52, Guy Hulbert <gwhulbert@eol.ca> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-19-06 at 19:30 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> >> When I am in a situation like this, I the following actions in order.
> >>
> >>  1. Install the package from squeeze or sid. Most of the time this
> >>     works right away and APT pinning helps not to pull the whole
> >>     distribution into the stable environment.
> >>  2. Backport the package from squeeze or sid. This is seldom
> >>     necessary. The most common case is modules with XS.
> >
> > Could you not (2) try install from the source package for modules with
> > XS so your step (2) would become (3).
>
> Backporting is the process of building for stable from a newer source
> package, so I don't see a difference between these two.  You could

Fair enough.

> potentially contribute any packages like this to lenny-backports, via
> the perl team.

I might I suppose.  I have had to upgrade Module::Build once already.

> I might have added "installing from lenny-backports" at (2), however.

I think that would be (0).

Presently, I just install things from cpan but building packages is a
better option.  It was Tina who is *required* to build packages.

For personal use, I would build from the 'master' branch in the git repo
but David Golden (the author, CCd) might not want that published.  I'll
try to find some tuits for this.

--
--gh