Re: [rt.cpan.org #58445] overzealous usage of configure_requires considered harmful

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, gregor herrmann wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:03:07 -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:

That's what libmodule-build-perl in Debian basically does already.

Unless I'm missing something the advice for people using
Module::Build on Debian is (as usual): use the Debian package instead
of fetching the module manually from CPAN.

Well, if I could, I would.

The version of libmodule-build-perl on lenny is 0.2808.01 as far as I
can see.
Now, there are modules which require a newer version. That's the
whole reason why we are trying to build a package.
Since we package all modules we use in debian and redhat packages,
we want to build Module::Build so that if we package modules
which require a new version of M::B we don't have to get the new
M::B version manually all the time.

This would save many many developers creating debian packages lots of
time =)
At the moment I believe many just give up because the workaround is not
easy to find.

Hm, I've never heard about such complaints before, but I might be
missing some aspect.

Well, if you never heard of this maybe this is because people give up
and don't know where to ask.

I had this problem some months ago with ExtUtils::MakeMaker (it also
had a conflict with a file already in core) and I found some workaround
how to tell dh-make-perl that it should remove that file from the
package (I think it was perllocal.pod).

Now two colleagues of mine tried to build Module::Build and both said,
it's not possible because of that conflict -> giving up.

I then found out with some help on a perl IRC channel that there is
this possibility with dpkg-divert. If one is not a dh-make-perl or
cpan2dist expert one just doesn't know where to look.

So if we three are the only people who have this problem, then sorry
for bothering, but I suspect there are at least some other people
out there who have had the same issue.

regards,
tina