Re: Intoroduction: pmcenery

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:29:56 +0000, Paul McEnery wrote:

> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/slimrat/slimrat_1.0-1.dsc

I haven't looked at the package yet, just a few general comments:

> I'll checkout the project page and wiki for answers to my other
> questions, such as what the preferred packaging practices are and VCS
> for packaging. My personal preference is debhelper (new short rules)
> and Git.

In general the Debian Perl Group packages modules and not
applications; then there are some corner cases and then we also have
very few real applications :)

Ad VCS:
Our main working area is our svn repo, which contains ~1500 module
packages in trunk/ and an empty apps/ directory :)

This svn repo (actually only the trunk/ dir) is monitored with PET:
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi which is our main
cooperation tool. IIRC all documentation also refers only to svn.

Then there is a git repository which contains a few apps and some
modules. It's used by very few people and doesn't show up on PET yet
(PET's multi-repo support and git support are still work in
progress).

Since slimrat sounds more like an application than a module and since
you prefer git, it sounds like putting it in
git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-perl/apps/slimrat.git might be
appropriate. Please note that you'd have to hunt down people to
review and upload it on your own because of the PET limitations.

Ad package helpers:
You'll find enough documentation about that on the group's pages;
just as a short note: almost everybody prefers and uses the modern
short debhelper stuff just like you :)

> When the package is in the right shape, will I be allowed to
> put it into one of the VCS's?

Since you're a group member, go ahead and use svn and/or git!

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: R.E.M.: Ignoreland