Re: copyright stanzas

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:07:39PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
>On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:32:31 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>> >Files: *
>> >Copyright: upstream
>> >License-Alias: Perl
>> Please just use "License" (or make sure to declare an explicit revision
>> of the proposal that still includes -Alias".
>
>Was that dropped?

Weeell, not dropped, no. But (in my reading) discouraged.

Have a look for yourself (section "License Aliases"):
http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat#head-5b203b59a674d35ad07b52329ae64e174e59442b

What makes me judge it as discouraged is that it was proposed by single
person, backed up by noone, but argued against by Noah, one of the
founders of the proposal, arguing the need is bogus: "Perl" is not a
license.

>Then we have a problem with lintian (versionless copyright pointer in
>pedantic mode, or however that's called), if we continue to point to
>/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL for "same as Perl" i.e. GPL-1+. Or not,
>if we have "same terms as Perl" somewhere explicitly written.

If lintian does not support the exact same structure, just s/-Alias//
then indeed lintian is broken and should be fixed.

The documentation for the (older, more stable) non-alias format is at
the "Standalone License Section" section here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat#head-d1d2adac8db71e98883d5b052e3ad1760b51ed80

>> >License: Perl
>> > Foo-Bar is distributed by the same terms as Perl.
>> If licensing text mentions the filename explicitly, then you cannot
>> generalize.
>
>Usually IMO Foo-Bar refers to the whole distribution and not only to a
>file.
>
>> Or more accurately: You can of course generalize anyway, but then you
>> do not include the licensing verbatim, so risk violating (ftpmasters
>> interpretation of) Debian Policy.
>
>I haven't seen any REJECTs caused by the very short debian/copyright
>files we've been using since August (which don't necessarily contain
>the exact wording but the Artistic/GPL default text in the
>stand-alone stanzas).
>(Recent example: libsys-gamin-perl)

Not being caught is not same as not in violation. :-)

My point is that if you are anal then do include each licensing
variation verbatim, and if you are lazy then don't and hold your breath
(and do *not* refer to me if you ever gat complaints about it) :-)

  - Jonas

- --