Re: copyright stanzas

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:07:39PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:

>> Then we have a problem with lintian (versionless copyright pointer in
>> pedantic mode, or however that's called), if we continue to point to
>> /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL for "same as Perl" i.e. GPL-1+. Or not,
>> if we have "same terms as Perl" somewhere explicitly written.

> If lintian does not support the exact same structure, just s/-Alias//
> then indeed lintian is broken and should be fixed.

Lintian doesn't do any checks against the new copyright format because
it's too much of a moving target.  Lintian will now warn if you point to
the unversioned GPL symlink, since normally this is not what you want, but
there's a special exception for Perl packages since GPL 1 is not in
common-licenses.  Lintian recognizes when to apply that exception by
looking for the phrase "as Perl itself" (the same text that it uses to
determine when license pointers are not present for Perl packages).