Re: copyright stanzas

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:07:07 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> >> Please just use "License" (or make sure to declare an explicit revision
> >> of the proposal that still includes -Alias".
> >Was that dropped?
> Weeell, not dropped, no. But (in my reading) discouraged.
> Have a look for yourself (section "License Aliases"):
> http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat#head-5b203b59a674d35ad07b52329ae64e174e59442b

Thanks for the pointer.

> What makes me judge it as discouraged is that it was proposed by single
> person, backed up by noone, but argued against by Noah, one of the
> founders of the proposal, arguing the need is bogus: "Perl" is not a
> license.

That's why it's "License-Alias" and not "License" :)
(And the actual licenses are mentioned in the next line.)

I have no strong opinion on that question but if upstream just says
"under the same terms as Perl" translating this to "License-Alias:
Perl" (and then expanding what it actually means) doesn't seem
unlogical to me.

> >I haven't seen any REJECTs caused by the very short debian/copyright
> >files we've been using since August (which don't necessarily contain
> >the exact wording but the Artistic/GPL default text in the
> >stand-alone stanzas).
> >(Recent example: libsys-gamin-perl)
> Not being caught is not same as not in violation. :-)

Sure, but I believe that's not the reason for the ACCEPTs :)

> My point is that if you are anal then do include each licensing
> variation verbatim, and if you are lazy then don't and hold your breath
> (and do *not* refer to me if you ever gat complaints about it) :-)

I'm all for being accurate but I don't think it really helps in the
case of well known standard licenses and clear intentions of the
author(s) to copy each and every wording variation.

 .''`.   Home: http://info.comodo.priv.at/{,blog/} / GPG Key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Don McLean: Dreidel